I really like Mexican food, always have. If you are anything like my Mom or I, we really just go out to Mexican food for the chips and salsa, and of course the Coronas and margaritas too! We usually just order a small taco so it doesn't look like we just came there for the chips and salsa. At one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, they have amazing Pico de Gallo - which is one of the reasons we like going there! My Mom decided to recreate it so we could make it at home. So the credit of the recipe goes to her!
This recipe is pure vegetables so it is gluten free, dairy free and vegan! When I make this recipe, I never measure the ingredients out, I just guess. But today, I decided to measure everything out so I could give you all a recipe!
- 4 cups of Cabbage - finely chopped (about half of one head of cabbage)
- 1 large Tomato - chopped (only use outside of tomato - do not use seeds)
- 1/2 cup of white Onion - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of Cilantro - finely chopped
- 1 tsp of Lime Juice
- 2 Jalapenos - chopped (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop up all ingredients and place in a large bowl.
- Mix and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
I like to eat my Pico de Gallo with tortilla chips and use it as an appetizer. This pico de gallo is great on tacos, fajitas and salads!
Hope you enjoy!