Anyone else LOVE P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps?! They are a favorite for me! I have seen so many copycat recipes out there and decided it was time to create my own. These were a hit for me this week for lunch and love that they are meal plan approved as well!
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (I used gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce (I used gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha (more or less depending on your liking)
- 1 can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup of green onions, chopped
- Bib lettuce
- Optional: chopped peanuts and fried rice noodles
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add sesame oil and ground chicken. Break apart chicken with a spatula and cook until thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, add chopped onion. Cook until onion is translucent. Add water chestnuts, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar and sriracha. Stir together and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add onion mixture to the chicken and return the skillet to medium high heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes and you mix everything together. Fold in green onions.
- To serve, fill the bib lettuce leaves with the chicken mixture and top with ground peanuts and fried rice noodles (recipe below)
For the Fried Rice Noodles, you will need 1 package of thin dried rice noodles (found in the Asian food section) and 1/2 cup of oil for frying, such as canola, sunflower, etc. Separate out the rice noodles by pulling them apart and cut the noodles in 4-5 inch strands. In a medium size skillet, add oil over medium high heat. The key to these noodles is making sure the oil is hot enough. Once it is hot enough, you should be able to drop in a strand and have it instantly bloom within seconds. Drop in your noodles in small batches and quickly remove them once they puff up!
If you are following portion fix, one serving is equal to:
- 2 bib lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of chicken mixture
- 2 tablespoons of ground peanuts
- 1/4 cup of fried rice noodles
This counts as: 1.5 green, 1 red, 1/2 yellow, 1 orange, 1 tsp.
These are AMAZING as left overs and this chicken mixture could easily go over a bed of lettuce if you want something a little easier to eat if you pack your lunch for work!
Hope you enjoy!