I am starting to fall even more in love with my crock pot every day. There is something really awesome about being able to come home from work to a hot prepared (healthy) dinner. These burrito bowls were amazing. They are great alone and I can only imagine how delicious they would be inside a tortilla!
- 3 boneless, skinless, organic chicken breasts
- 3 cups of organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- Shredded colby jack cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Pico de gallo
- In your crock pot, combine chicken breasts with olive oil, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and set aside.
- Add in rice and black beans. Cook for 45 minutes or until rice is tender. The broth should be almost fully soaked up.
- Meanwhile, shred your fully cooked chicken with a fork.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, return chicken to the crock pot and cook for a few more minutes, until the chicken is warm.
- Serve with colby jack cheese, sliced avocados and a spoonful of pico de gallo!
This made 6 servings for us and the serving is 1.5 cups. I found that this serving to be a lot to eat, so I may cut in half for myself next time!
One serving is 1 red, 1 yellow and less than .5 green. Based on the serving in the picture, I count it as 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green and 1 blue!
These were a hit at our house and this could easily be cooked and placed in the freezer to eat at a later date. This is technically six servings but for me, this was FILLING. So, I think you could cut the portion size down and use less containers and get more servings out of it! Also, think it would be good to add in a pepper or onion to knock out some of your green containers!