Recipe was modified from: Life Made Sweeter
- 1 pound of chicken breasts, cut into one inch pieces
- 1/4 cup and 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos (I used gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup and 3 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger
- 2 tsp of red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons red chili garlic paste
- In a large bowl ziplock back, combine chicken, 1/4 cup corn starch, salt and black pepper until well-coated. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, hoisin, honey, sesame oil, vinegar, ketchup, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, and red chili garlic paste in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken into the slow cooker. Pour sauce over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 2.5-4 hours or high for 1.5-3 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk together the 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and stir into the crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH for another 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken up.
- Serve with a side of brown rice and top with chopped green onions, sesame seeds and red chili flakes!
This recipe hit the spot for us and I thought it was even better as left overs!
PORTION FIX: 3/4 cup counts as 1 red, 1 orange and .5 yellow.