I knew this idea was either going to be weird or...delicious. And I am so happy to say, this was DELICIOUS. My husband licked his bowl clean, raving about how it was the best meal ever. I am nursing my baby boy still and our pediatrician has told me to avoid dairy and some veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage to help his tummy. Those are all of my favorite veggies! So, I have been really trying to get a little creative with my meals to incorporate more veggies without munching on salads in the middle of winter. These rice bowls will be in our regular rotation now and they are SO easy...and best part? They are 21 Day Fix approved, gluten free and dairy free!
- 2 thin chicken breast fillets
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups of butternut squash, cubed (I peel mine and then cut into small cubes)
- 4 tsp olive oil (one for chicken, one for onions, two for butternut squash
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup of brown rice (I love Trader Joe's frozen brown rice!)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 avocado - or your favorite guacamole
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss chicken breasts with one teaspoon of olive oil and then sprinkle on 1/3 of spice mixture, or to your liking. Line up the chicken breasts on the baking sheet. Repeat with the cubed butternut squash and onions. I used two teaspoons of olive oil on my butternut squash.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and cook for 11-13 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken once it is fully cooked and return the onions and butternut squash to the oven. I cooked in 4 minutes increments and removed the onions once the bottoms were looking a little charred. I cooked the butternut squash for an additional 8 minutes, until the bottoms of the cubes were charring. If you want them a little more crisp, just leave them in the oven a little longer! Key here is NOT flipping the onions or the butternut squash!
- Meanwhile, you can get your guacamole and rice prepared! I use frozen Trader Joe's brown rice, so this is when you can toss it in the microwave.
- For the guacamole, you can either use one you love or make it the way I do! In a small bowl, mash up one avocado and add in two teaspoons of garlic salt (or to your own liking). Then set aside.
- Once everything is cooked, you can start assembling your bowls! This recipe serves two. For ONE bowl, add 1 cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1 cup of butternut squash, 1/2 of the onions, 1/4 cup of guacamole and one chicken breast (slice up!).
21 Day Fix Container Count for ONE Bowl: 1 red, 2.5 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 2 tsp (measurements are listed in step 8 of the recipe)
I hope you all enjoy this meal as much as we do! Feel free to get creative with this meal! Add some pico de gallo! Throw in some peppers! Such a great way to add more veggies to your diet!
xo - Jess