I am absolutely obsessed with french fries and have always wanted to find a way to make a crispy fry out of a vegetable so I would feel less guilty about eating them. Plus, anyone who follows the portion fix meal plan like me, it is always a win when you find a food you love that counts as a green! LOL! I have recently discovered a love for butternut squash and I love how easy this recipe is!
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and sliced into thin fries
- Sea salt (garlic salt works too!)
- Cooking Spray (optional)
- Place your butternut squash fries in your air fryer at 300 for 20 minutes, flipping/shaking every 5-7 minutes. If you want crisper fries, lightly coat with cooking spray!
- Turn your air fryer up to 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes, shaking every 2 minutes.
- Once your fries are to your desired crispiness, remove from fryer and sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!
TIP: Air fryers can vary based on brands and sizes. The first time you cook these, keep a close eye on them and shake often. If your fries appear to be fully cooked before the 20 minutes, crank up the temperature sooner to start crisping them up. If you want them crispier, cook them longer at 400 degrees. Play around with your air fryer to determine the best cooking time! My cooking times are based on my Black and Decker air fryer.
I love these fries and prefer them on the crispy side! I like to dip these in fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with a little ranch seasoning! So yummy!
If you are following Portion Fix: 1 cup of fries is counted as 1 green.